| Resolution: North American Section |
The Steering Committee of the East Coast Section ISOP has adopted the following resolution that would ask the Society's Executive Committee to change the name of the East Coast Section to the North American Section. We are now submitting the resolution to North American members for your vote. If the resolution is approved, we will ask the Executive Committee to change the Section's name. ISOP members residing in North America are encouraged to read the resolution and respond by Monday, January 8, 2007.
A resolution to change the name of the "East Coast Section" of the International Society of Protistologists to the "North American Section"
Responses should be sent to the Chair of the Steering Committee, Michael Dolan.
- Whereas the Society of Protozoologists has been renamed the International Society of Protistologists to reflect its international membership and to signify that the society is not based in any one country;
- Whereas the title "East Coast Section" is not consistent with the Society's international orientation;
- Whereas other Society members from North America are not affiliated with active sections of the Society;
- Whereas members of the Society located on the east coast of North America have a long tradition of holding regional, student-friendly meetings;
- Now therefore be it resolved that the name "East Coast Section" is changed to "North American Section",
- And be it furthermore resolved that the membership of the Steering Committee of the North American Section shall be representative of all the Society members in North America;
- And be it furthermore resolved that the North American Section shall continue to hold student-friendly meetings on a regional basis as needed.